Totality Town is Looking for Eclipse Guides
The Town of Andrews is looking for help with a variety of things on Eclipse Day itself (Monday, August 21st, 2017). There are a number of different needs and we are looking for 100 Eclipse Guides to help. All Eclipse Guides need to be knowledgeable about where everything is on Eclipse Day in order to help residents and visitors alike. This is not an adults-only role. High school-age students 14 years and up are eligible.
- Training on eclipses which would normally cost $60 is being provided free of charge.
- A Totality Town, NC Eclipse Guide T-shirt ($15 value) to be worn on the day of the eclipse.
- Discounts at local restaurants:
- Hoppy Trout - 20% off any food order
- Scoops - 10% off any order
- Monte Alban’s - 10% off any order
- Graneri’s - 20% off any order
- Burger Basket - 10% off any order
- Kobe Grill - 10% off any order
Roles and Responsibilities
All Eclipse Guides will need to be knowledgeable about what is happening - both with the eclipse itself and with the different events happening in town. Everyone needs to be able to answer questions about almost everything. We will provide all of the training!
This is an all-day event. If we get enough Eclipse Guides then we may be able to shorten the shifts so that each person works closer to half of the day. Plan on beginning at 8 A.M. Some roles may require an earlier start. Most roles will end between 4:30 and 5:00. The basic description of roles and responsibilities is as follows (subject to change):
- Information Station - There are designated entry points at all entrances to Heritage Park and each one will have an Information station everyone must pass through. Role may also include selling eclipses glasses and t-shirts (if we have any left by then!).
- Parking - Directing cars within the paid parking areas.
- Educational Eclipse Guide - Run an educational station with one of a variety of eclipse-related educational activities (special training provided).
- Set-up - In the days before Eclipse Day, helping set up the field, check-in visitors on Sunday evening, etc.
- Wrap-up - Help with clean up and putting things away Monday evening and/or Tuesday. Trying to get things back to "normal" as smoothly as possible.
It must be noted that training is absolutely mandatory. Most of the science/eclipse side of the training will be available online, but there will be a mandatory face-to-face training either the last week of July or the first week of August. Failure to attend the training disqualifies your ability to serve as an Eclipse Guide.
Sign Me Up!
To sign up to be an Eclipse Guide, simply fill out the Totality Town, NC Eclipse Guide Sign-Up online form. We will contact you with more details soon.